For many, a plant-based or vegan diet is synonymous with restriction and renunciation.
And most of those who have switched to plant-based diets will likely have at least one meat dish they’d like to indulge in again sometimes, simply because of the taste.
Our tip for beginners who miss the consistency of meat (but also for everyone else!) is jackfruit!
It brings a lot of iron , which is needed for blood formation, but also a relatively high amount of fiber. In addition to some B vitamins and trace elements , jackfruit also contains vitamin K , which counteracts osteoporosis.
And to whet your appetite for this fabulous fruit, we have this delicious recipe by hand for:
Our jackfruit in red wine sauce!
With wine and dried porcini mushrooms it gets an intensely spicy note and the jackfruit pieces give the whole thing the consistency you would expect from a goulash.
Jackfruit in red wine sauce
- 680 g jackfruit pickled in brine
- 350 g onions
- 25 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 650 ml red wine
- 2 clove of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 juniper berries
- 6 allspice grains
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apricot jam or maple syrup
- salt & pepper
- Pour 250ml of boiling water over the dried porcini mushrooms and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and fry the onions until translucent. Add garlic after 3-4 minutes and sauté.
- Add tomato paste to the onions and roast.
- Drain the mushrooms and collect the water. Finely chop the mushrooms, also add to the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine and also add the mushroom water.
- Add the bay leaves, juniper, allspice, 1 teaspoon pepper and 2 teaspoons salt and cook for 45 minutes with the lid closed.
- After 45 minutes, the mushrooms and onions should be soft. Then take out the bay leaves, juniper and allspice and puree the sauce.
- Drain the jackfruit and add to the red wine sauce. Cook in the sauce for 35-40 minutes until soft.
- Finally add the apricot jam and salt to taste.